June 24, 2016; 12-1:15 p.m. (ET)
Location: Online participation via Adobe Connect
Since the release of the original VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guideline (CPG) for the Management of Concussion-Mild Traumatic Brain Injury (mTBI) in 2009, continued research has augmented what is known about mTBI and the complexity of this condition. As a result of this updated understanding and additional information, new strategies for management and treatment of service members and veterans diagnosed with mTBI have evolved and been put into practice. This evolution prompted the recently revised version of the CPG (released in early 2016).
Members of the Management of Concussion-Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Working Group will present an introduction to the revised VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Concussion-Mild Traumatic Brain Injury. Speakers will highlight updates in the 2016 version and will discuss the accompanying CPG mTBI algorithm, a reference tool used to guide providers through assessment, treatment, and management of patients with mTBI.
At the conclusion of this educational program, participants will be able to:
- Briefly describe recommendations of the updated VA/DoD Clinical Practice Guidelines for the Management of Concussion/mTBI
- Identify the key changes made from the 2009 version to the 2016 version
- Understand the recommended algorithm for mTBI using the new CPG
- Identify and locate additional materials and resources related to the VA/DoD CPG mTBI as well as mild traumatic brain injury overall
- Col. Geoffrey G. Grammer, M.D.
- National Director Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center Silver Spring, Maryland
- Thomas J. DeGraba, M.D.
- Chief Innovations Officer National Intrepid Center of Excellence Bethesda, Maryland
- Linda M. Picon, M.C.D., CCC-SLP
- VA Senior Consultant, TBI Liaison Defense Centers of Excellence for Psychological Health and Traumatic Brain Injury Silver Spring, Maryland
- Katharine Stout, P.T., D.P.T., N.C.S., M.B.A.
- Director, Clinical Affairs Division Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center Silver Spring, Maryland